When we have a roast chicken we tend to treat ourselves with chestnuts but we always end up with more than we need. It got me thinking about what I could do with the spare, unused chestnuts. I think this is a great alternative to Rocky Roads and very easy to make.
You will need:
200 g unsalted butter
100 g golden syrup
50 g cocoa powder
350 g milk chocolate bixit (or digestives)
100 g ready-cooked chestnuts
75 g dried cranberries
75 g raisins
(1) Line your baking tray with baking paper so that you can remove them from the tray easily once complete
(2) If needed, boil your chestnuts following the instructions on the package
(2) Put the butter, golden syrup and cocoa powder in a separate saucepan over medium heat and heat until melted and stir until smooth.
(3) Roughly break up the biscuits in a large bowl and add the cranberries and raisins.
(4) Chop up your chestnuts and add to the bowl
(5) Pour chocolate, syrup mixture in to the bowl
(6) Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is well mixed and evenly coated
(7) Press this mixture into the prepared baking tray, using a wooden spoon to flatten and compress
(8) Leave to cool in then refrigerate for a couple of hours, or preferably overnight.
(9) Cut up into bite size squares and share with friends