I love to bake but I hate to cook.
We take turns to cook in our home and (at the moment) I only have a handful of dishes I can make with confidence. My boyfriend finds it amusing as he always knows it will always one of those few dishes and I only tend to expand my list when I “graduate” from the cooking lessons he provides to try to broaden my culinary skills.
I can hand on heart say I am awesome at making meals that involves throwing everything into a pot and stirring, though I also have an amazing knack of using all utensils in the kitchen throughout the process.
One my my favourites dinners to make is Mushroom Risotto, it’s easy, very filling and a good excuse to buy a bottle of wine.
You will need:
300 g mushrooms (assorted)
75 g butter
2 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots or a small onion
2 large garlic cloves
750 ml chicken stock
150 g risotto rice
100 ml white wine
salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp double cream
(1) Clean mushrooms and cut or slice them into fairly small pieces.
(2) Melt 15g butter with 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
(3) Add finely chopped shallots and garlic. Sauté gently for 10mins until soft
(4) Bring stock to a gentle simmer in a saucepan and turn down to a low heat.
(5) Add rice to the buttery shallots and stir in well.
(6) Cook for a minute then add the wine and let it simmer until absorbed.
(7) Turn down the heat a little under the risotto pan.
(8) Add a ladle of hot stock to the rice and let it cook, stir from time to time. Once almost all absorbed, repeat with a second ladleful. Keep going, adding stock gradually and stirring frequently for 20min. The rice should be tender with just the tiniest bite left in it.
(9) Heat a small knob of butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms and season. Sauté for 10 mins until tender.
(10) Stir in the chopped parsley and keep mushrooms warm.
(11) When rice is done, scatter butter over the rice with cream, Parmesan and mushrooms
(12) Turn off heat and cover pan for 2 minutes.
(13) Stir in the melted butter, cheese and mushrooms.
(14) Season and serve.