It has been a blustery weekend in Stavanger and all I have wanted to do is stay indoor rather than run the risk of being blown away. As a lovely afternoon tea treat I whipped up this Raspberry and Almond cake yesterday, it was super quick to make and tastes even better the next day (if it lasts that long in your home!).
You will need:
140 g ground almonds/flaked almonds blitzed in a blender
140 g butter
140 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
140 g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
250 g fresh raspberries
A small handful of flaked almonds
Icing sugar, to serve
(1) Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan assisted) and grease a 20cm cake tin and line the bases with baking paper.
(2) If necessary blitz your flaked almonds so that they are in a ground almond consistency.
(3) Cream your butter, golden caster sugar, vanilla essence and ground almonds together.
(4) Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix in well after each addition,
(5) Gradually add your flour and baking powder and mix in well.
(6) Spread half of the mixture over the cake tin and smooth it out.
(7) Scatter the raspberries over the mixture in the tin and then dollop the remaining mixture on top.
(8) Spread the mixture over the top of the raspberries. I found this easier to do with my fingers.
(9) Scatter the flaked almonds over the top of the cake.
(10) Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until golden.
(11) Leave to cool in the tin before turning out on to a wire rack and allowing to cool completely before serving.
(12) Dust with a little icing sugar to serve.