Oh the humble Tattie Scone, or Potato Scone for the posher people amongst us, a great Scottish delicacy.
I had excess potatoes from my meal last night so set aside half to make tattie scones today. These are great breakfast or lunch time treats. They are best served hot with cheese in the middle or served up with a full Scottish breakfast. They are so simple to make, so there is no reason to throw out leftover potatoes again!
Makes: 8 scones
What you need:
250 g of boiled potatoes
30 g unsalted butter
50 g plain flour
½ tsp of salt
(1) Mash the potatoes in a bowl and add in the butter and the salt.
(2) Combine well with your hands.
(3) Add the flour to the mixture and continue to combine until you have a workable dough that doesn’t stick to your hands.
(4) Lightly flour your surface and roll out the dough until it is around 5mm thick. You then need to cut your scones into triangles.
(5) Prepare your frying pan by adding a little drop of olive oil. Once the pan has heated up fry your scones for around 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
(6) Serve hot!