We are meat eaters in our house but recently I purchased my first vegan cookbook, Thug Kitchen. How could I say no to a book that’s brave enough to have the tag line is “Eat like you give a f#ck”. If you are easily offended by swear words then this won’t be a book for you as it’s littered with them but if you can get past that there are some really awesome recipes inside. I knew it was a vegan book when I purchased it, but I didn’t mention it to my other half as I wanted him to look through the book and point out things he would eat before letting him in on the secret.
We eat a lot of vegetables already but we want to try to mix up our selection and today I made vegan burgers. They were ridiculously easy to make as you just throw everything into a blender, blend together and shape into burger patties.
WARNING: You hands will have a lovely green tinge to them when you handle the mix!
Makes: 4-5 Burgers
You will need:
240 g fresh spinach
1 chopped onion
400 g cooked kidney beans
90 g cooked rice
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1 large tomato
(1) Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan assisted) and oil a baking tray.
(2) Blitz the spinach and onion together in a food processor until they are small chunks.
(3) Add the kidney beans, rice, garlic, liquid smoke, soy sauce and seasonings. Blitz all together with the spinach and onion until it reaches a paste like consistency.
(4) Remove the mixture and place into a medium bowl, add breadcrumbs and combine by hand, this is where it gets messy! (If the mixture is too wet add a little more breadcrumbs).
(5) The neat thing about this recipe is because it’s meat-free you can taste and season the mixture to your hearts content!
(6) Now you are ready to shape your mixture into burger patties.
(7) Place on your baking tray and drizzle a tiny amount of olive oil on top of them.
(8) Bake for 20 minutes, flip and then bake for a further 20 minutes.
(9) Whilst your burgers are cooking, cut open your burger buns, add mustard and ketchup to the bottom slice, layer your lettuce, avocado and tomato on top.
(10) Once your burgers are baked, add them to your buns and Enjoy.